Here's a quick way to spice up ordinary burgers—our family sure enjoys the change of pace.— Marjorie Nolan, Oakland, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until thickened. Spoon onto buns and top with cheese and lettuce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 280 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Taco Joes in Country Ground Beef