During the busy holiday season, folks are thrilled to receive a jar of chili fixings for a no-fuss dinner. The flavor is fantastic!—Suzette Jury, Keene, California
Featured In: 30 Recipes for Gifts in a Jar
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/2 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/2 cup dried red beans
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 cups tortilla chips
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and sliced ripe olives
- Layer the beans in a 1-qt. glass jar. Place seasonings in a small resealable plastic bag; place in jar. Top with chips. Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 2 months. Yield: 1 batch.
- To prepare chili: Remove chips and seasoning packet from jar and set aside. Sort beans and rinse in cold water.
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let soak for 1 to 4 hours or until softened. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return beans to the pan. Add contents of seasoning packet and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add to the bean mixture; stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crush tortilla chips. Stir into chili; cook for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Serve with cheese, lettuce and olives if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Taco Chili Mix in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p120
Reviews forTaco Chili Mix
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2015
"Great gift idea! I made the taco chili and the family gave it a thumbs up! I have not made it as a gift yet, but plan on doing it soon!"