It’s easy to satisfy a large group when you serve this main dish, because it makes three colorful casseroles. It’s hearty with ground beef and beans and mildly spiced to please most any palate. —Alison Gilmore, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes3 casseroles (8 servings each)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup taco sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 6 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 3 cups sour cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 12 green onions, sliced
- Shredded lettuce and additional taco sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, taco sauce, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Divide chips among three ungreased 2-qt. baking dishes; top with beef mixture. Combine sour cream and flour; spread over top. Sprinkle with cheese, tomatoes and onions.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Serve with shredded lettuce and additional taco sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 371 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Taco Casserole in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2nd Edition--Cooks Who Care
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.