VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 cups to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, taco seasoning, sugar, yeast, onion and salt. In a large saucepan, heat the soup, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in chilies and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Taco Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p73
Reviews forTaco Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2012
"it's simple and good one :)"