T-Bones with Onions
Steak gets a dressy treatment when topped with tasty onion slices flavored with honey and mustard. "I found this recipe on a bag of charcoal more than 10 years ago," shares Sheree Quate of Cave Junction, Oregon. "It's terrific with green beans or corn."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 large onions, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 beef T-bone steaks (1 inch thick and 12 ounces each)
- Additional salt and pepper
- Place onions in the center of a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 20x18 in.). Drizzle with honey; sprinkle with the salt, mustard, paprika and pepper. Fold foil over onions and seal tightly. Season steaks with additional salt and pepper.
- Grill onions and steaks, covered, over medium heat. Grill onions for 10-12 minutes on each side or until tender. Grill steak for 7-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let steak stand for 3-5 minutes. Serve with onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 421 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 48g protein.
Originally published as T-Bones with Onions in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips