I re-created my favorite dish from a unique restaurant in Ramona, California, that was housed in the original town telephone office, complete with the memorabilia. All their dishes were named after old telephone lingo. This open-face sandwich is versatile and flavorful, with great visual appeal. —Joyce Hrin, Surprise, Arizona
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 slices dark rye bread
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 pound sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced deli ham
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Spread bread slices with mayonnaise. Layer two slices with turkey, ham, mushrooms, tomato, sprouts and cheese. Top with remaining bread.
- Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 sandwiches.
Originally published as Switchman Sandwiches in Reminisce Extra July 2011, p51