I re-created my favorite dish from a unique restaurant in Ramona, California, that was housed in the original town telephone office, complete with the memorabilia. All their dishes were named after old telephone lingo. This open-face sandwich is versatile and flavorful, with great visual appeal. —Joyce Hrin, Surprise, Arizona
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 slices dark rye bread
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 pound sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced deli ham
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Spread bread slices with mayonnaise. Layer two slices with turkey, ham, mushrooms, tomato, sprouts and cheese. Top with remaining bread.
- Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 414 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1726mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 35g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Switchman Sandwich in Reminisce Extra July 2011