This recipe won the Chef Award at a contest sponsored by a major food company more than 20 years ago. Since then, it's the burger recipe my husband and I like best.—Dlores DeWitt, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a bowl, combine ground beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Shape into 8 small patties.
- Mash avocados and mix with remaining salt, onion, lemon juice, mayonnaise and bacon. Place a slice of cheese on 4 of the patties. Top with avocado mixture. Cover with another pattie; press edges to seal.
- Broil or grill to desired doneness. Serve on toasted buns.