Swiss Woods Souffle
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 to 10 slices bread, torn in pieces
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted or 1 cup thick homemade white sauce with 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
- Arrange bread in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Whisk together the eggs, 1-1/2 cups milk and seasonings; pour over bread and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon over bread. Combine the soup, cheeses and remaining milk; spread over sausage.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 353 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2011
This looks really delicious, but I hate mushrooms. Any substitution ideas, or is this just one I'll have to pass on?
Mar 13, 2010
I've made this a couple of times for company and even the picky eaters loved it. It's like a fancy biscuits and gravy and it's sooo delicious! Excellent for a brunch.
Dec 29, 2009
My aunt made this for a Christmas brunch....it got RAVE reviews!!!!