Swiss Woods Souffle
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 to 10 slices bread, torn in pieces
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted or 1 cup thick homemade white sauce with 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Emmenthaler Swiss cheese
- Arrange bread in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Whisk together the eggs, 1-1/2 cups milk and seasonings; pour over bread and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon over bread. Combine the soup, cheeses and remaining milk; spread over sausage.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 353 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 823mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 20, 2011
This looks really delicious, but I hate mushrooms. Any substitution ideas, or is this just one I'll have to pass on?
Mar 13, 2010
I've made this a couple of times for company and even the picky eaters loved it. It's like a fancy biscuits and gravy and it's sooo delicious! Excellent for a brunch.
Dec 29, 2009
My aunt made this for a Christmas brunch....it got RAVE reviews!!!!