- 8 to 10 slices bread, torn in pieces
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, or 1 cup thick homemade white sauce with 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
- 1 cup mixed Gruyere and Emmenthaler cheese, or aged Swiss, shredded
- Distribute bread pieces evenly over bottom of 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Mix eggs with 1-1/2 cups milk and spices; pour over bread and let stand. Meanwhile, brown and drain sausage. Spread meat over bread. Combine soup, 1/2 cup milk and cheese; spread over sausage. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes or until brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSwiss Woods Souffle
"This looks really delicious, but I hate mushrooms. Any substitution ideas, or is this just one I'll have to pass on?"
"I've made this a couple of times for company and even the picky eaters loved it. It's like a fancy biscuits and gravy and it's sooo delicious! Excellent for a brunch."
"My aunt made this for a Christmas brunch....it got RAVE reviews!!!!"