- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak (about 1/2 inch thick), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole green chilies, drained
- 4 medium red potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt if desired and pepper. Add steak and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef on both sides in oil over medium heat until no longer pink.; drain. Add the tomatoes, onion and chilies; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer for 70-80 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSwiss Steak Supper
"This is a great tasting dish that take very little prep, it's great for a weeknight."
"I've made this a few times with rave reviews each time. Delicious! But don't omit the green chilies or it changes the recipe quite a bit. They add so much flavor!"
"We made a slight modification by deleting the green chilies and adding 1/2 cup of red wine. It was delicious."