Swiss Spinach Casserole
I'm a nurse who works 12-hour shifts, so I don't have much time to cook. This goes together quickly and can easily be shared with my husband.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- In a bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Stir in the spinach, water chestnuts, 1/4 cup Swiss cheese, pimientos, green onion, salt and nutmeg if desired.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 150 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.
Originally published as Swiss Spinach Casserole in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook