Swiss Scalloped Potatoes
If you're a fan of French onion soup, you'll love this layered potato casserole. My family really enjoys it with ham, turkey or pork roast.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 5 medium potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, layer a third of the potatoes, onion, pimientos, garlic and Swiss cheese; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining potatoes, onion, pimientos, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour broth over the top; dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 30 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 237 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Scalloped Potatoes in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.