Swiss-Onion Potato Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, salt, pepper and onion mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk; pour over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 171 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 5, 2017
I would give this 5 stars but it took much longer to cook than stated. I needed another 20 minutes at least. Either raise your oven temperature or resign yourself to a longer cook time.
Jul 9, 2013
We like this just as written for a change of pace potato side dish. A great alternative to the Swiss cheese is a Sharp Cheddar.
Apr 10, 2013
Tates just like scalloped potatos.
Oct 7, 2011
A bit bland. I will try it again, but may try to zip it up a bit. Certainly easy to make!
Apr 29, 2011
I had high hopes for this dish, but it was the blandest least flavorful potato dish I have ever tried. It was very disappointing.
Apr 25, 2011
Very good, Very easy. I made it for Easter. This is one of those recipes that is good as it is and could be used as breakfast/brunch or dinner. I plan to use this dish as a base for other meals, such as changing the swiss cheese for cheddar and adding green chili's or change the cheese to pepperjack and serve with brats.
Apr 24, 2011
This was a very easy recipe to make. I had to substitute diced hash browns, otherwise I had no problems. It was very tasty, my family and I enjoyed it very much, I just had to add 20 minutes to the cooking time.I will definitely make this again!