- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, cheese, salt, pepper and onion mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and milk; pour over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSwiss-Onion Potato Bake
"I would give this 5 stars but it took much longer to cook than stated. I needed another 20 minutes at least. Either raise your oven temperature or resign yourself to a longer cook time."
"We like this just as written for a change of pace potato side dish. A great alternative to the Swiss cheese is a Sharp Cheddar."
"Tates just like scalloped potatos."
"A bit bland. I will try it again, but may try to zip it up a bit. Certainly easy to make!"
"I had high hopes for this dish, but it was the blandest least flavorful potato dish I have ever tried. It was very disappointing."
"Very good, Very easy. I made it for Easter. This is one of those recipes that is good as it is and could be used as breakfast/brunch or dinner. I plan to use this dish as a base for other meals, such as changing the swiss cheese for cheddar and adding green chili's or change the cheese to pepperjack and serve with brats."
"This was a very easy recipe to make. I had to substitute diced hash browns, otherwise I had no problems. It was very tasty, my family and I enjoyed it very much, I just had to add 20 minutes to the cooking time.I will definitely make this again!"