In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman stirs up a big batch of these tender drop biscuits made with whole wheat flour. They're yummy spread with butter alongside a bowl of soup or a luncheon salad.
Recommended: 60 Heirloom Recipes from Grandparents
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese and onions. Combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into cheese mixture just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Swiss Onion Drop Biscuits in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p58