Swiss Onion Drop Biscuits
In Hebron, Indiana, Edna Hoffman stirs up a big batch of these tender drop biscuits made with whole wheat flour. They're yummy spread with butter alongside a bowl of soup or a luncheon salad.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, onion salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese and onions. Combine eggs and buttermilk; stir into cheese mixture just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 113 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Onion Drop Biscuits in Quick Cooking July/August 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.