Swiss Onion Bread
Our granddaughter, Lena, used this recipe as part of her 4-H project, and it was very well received. The slight crunch from poppy seeds pairs well with the creamy Swiss cheese.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6-3/4 to 7-1/4 cups bread or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons water
- Additional poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the butter, onion, egg, salt, mustard, 3 cups flour and remaining water and sugar. Beat until smooth. Stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 18x10-in. rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise. Combine filling ingredients; spread to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up each, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place two ropes, side by side, on a greased baking sheet. Twist ropes together; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over twists. Sprinkle with a additional poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.