- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 egg
- 1 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 25 crackers)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 4 slices ham or salami
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg. Combine cracker crumbs and salt in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg, then in crumbs; set aside.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. add chicken; cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Top each chicken breast half with a ham slice, mushrooms and a cheese slice. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSwiss Mushroom Chicken
"Giving this 5 stars... although I did not have an ovenproof skillet so ended up frying the chicken and then transferring to an oven proof pan. Really good flavor combo."
"This is a very simple recipe and delicious - I use a good quality imported ham. I have made it many times, and it reheats well."
"This is an excellent recipe, thanks so much! It's also very versatile. I love this recipe just the way it is, but sometimes I change it up a bit by omitting the ham and serving it with provolone or mozzarella cheese with homemade spaghetti sauce as chicken parmesan. Sooooo good."
"Very good, my family asks for it often and everyone asks for the recipe."
"This is such an easy and delicious meal. My family loved it! They went on all night how good it was. I did add some garlic powder & Italian seasoning to my breading. This recipe is a keeper!"
"We enjoy this. I always put the cheese on the meat and then the ham and mushrooms and more cheese. This way it sticks to the chicken instead of sliding off!"
"I made this reciepe many times. The key is to use a good quality ham. You can substitute boneless pork chops. Any hunters out there? Yes?...this is Great with Pheasant Breast."
"My family loves this! I now use the Foreman grill to first cook the breaded chicken. We don't miss (or need) the added fat."
"This recipe is easy and very dellicious. Sometimes I use provalone cheese instead of the Swiss. Our daughter is a mushroom lover and this is one of her favorites."