Swiss Creamed Peas
A creamy cheese sauce turns ordinary peas into a succulent side dish. I make this quite often for family gatherings, and it's always well received. —Lin Carr, West Seneca, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss Cheese
- 3 cups cooked peas
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add the cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add peas; cook and stir until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 417 calories, 32g fat (20g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Creamed Peas in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Jul 14, 2014
I happened to have peas and swiss cheese in my refrigerator, and the combination sounded good so I was happy to find this recipe. I used low fat milk instead of heavy cream to cut down on fat & calories. Turned out great!