Years ago, when I was searching for just the right thing to perk up a meal, my neighbor suggested these pancakes. They did the trick! Golden brown, crisp and cheesy, they make a deliciously different dish anytime of day.
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded peeled potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour; mix well. Stir in potatoes, Swiss cheese, onion, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls; press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 16 pancakes.
Originally published as Swiss Cheese Potato Pancakes in Country Woman March/April 2001, p33