Swiss Cheese Fondue
As cold winter blows outside, our Test Kitchen home economists suggest warming up with this rich and creamy fondue. Don't be surprised when the pot is scraped clean!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 4 cups
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 cups white wine, chicken broth or unsweetened apple juice, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cubed French bread
- Rub garlic clove over the bottom and sides of a fondue pot; discard garlic and set fondue pot aside. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, bring 1-3/4 cups wine and nutmeg to a simmer. Gradually add cheese, stirring after each addition until cheese is melted (cheese will separate from wine).
- Combine cornstarch and remaining wine until smooth; gradually stir into cheese mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and mixture is blended and smooth. Transfer to prepared fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with bread cubes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 206 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Cheese Fondue in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.