- 1 loaf (18-20 inches) French bread
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dehydrated parsley flakes
- Cut bread in half. Make diagonal cuts, 1 in. thick, through bread but not through bottom. Combine all remaining ingredients. Spread half the butter mixture between bread slices. Spread remaining mixture over top and sides of bread.
- Place bread on double thickness of foil; cover loosely with more foil. Bake at 425° for 20-30 minutes. For last 5 minutes, remove foil covering bread to allow it to brown. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews forSwiss Cheese Bread
"I made a smaller version of this recipe using six fresh Italian rolls. I used 1/2-stick butter and about a cup of finely shredded Swiss cheese. Great taste that went well with a cup of creamed vegetable soup."
"I have a question for anybody. Why do you cut the loaf in half? (Step 1). Is the recipe only for 1\2 loaf?"