Tired of sauteed greens, I created this unique “stuffed” side dish that features Swiss chard. A robust blend of seasonings and two types of cheese pack the tender bundles with loads of flavor.—Laurie Bock, Lynden, Washington
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook Swiss chard in boiling water for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Drain and pat dry. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of eight leaves, making a V-shaped cut; set aside. (Refrigerate remaining Swiss chard for another use.)
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the wine, oregano and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; set aside.
- Drain potatoes and mash. Stir in the wine mixture, sour cream, grated Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Overlapping cut ends of leaves, place about 1/3 cup potato mixture on each leaf. Fold in sides. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Place seam side down in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with tomatoes and shredded Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until Swiss chard is tender and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Swiss Chard Bundles in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p59
Reviews forSwiss Chard Bundles
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 21, 2015
"These bundles are so yummy! Really you should try them!"