Swiss & Caraway Flatbreads
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 pieces each)
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, optional
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Using fingertips, press several dimples into dough. In a small bowl, whisk melted butter, oil, onion, mustard, caraway seeds, Worcestershire sauce and, if desired, sherry until blended; brush over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Serve warm. Freeze option: Cut cooled flatbreads into pieces. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, reheat flatbreads on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 425° oven until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without sherry): 134 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 14, 2018
I tried making this and had a problem. The oil, butter, Worcestershire, and mustard mixture remained separated with the mustard and caraway seeds at the bottom of the bowl and not blended. When the dough was brushed with the mixture, it was primarily just the oil. I wish I knew what I did wrong because it was pretty good but tasted like melted cheese on bread dough--which isn't a bad taste but not very special either. I think I might try using a blender to emulsify the mixture before adding the caraway seeds. I wonder if anyone else had this problem.
Jan 7, 2014
Oh, my goodness...so good!!! I always make a liverwurst dip during the holidays, and I was unable to find our favorite Rye Triscuits so I decided to try these flatbreads. Thank you Diane Berger! This recipe is definitely a keeper. The flavors went perfectly with the liverwurst. I put the leftovers in the freezer to have with some homemade split pea soup.
Aug 30, 2013
Forgot the stars. I would give it a 12 out of 10!
Aug 30, 2013
Wonderful flavor! Very easy.