Swiss Bean Casserole
This delicious creamy and cheesy side dish is too rich to serve often, so I save it for Christmas- as a kind of reward for good behavior all year long!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces each) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the four, salt, pepper and mustard until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese just until melted.
- Stir in beans until coated. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 238 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Bean Casserole in Country Woman Christmas 2003