Swiss Bean Casserole
This delicious creamy and cheesy side dish is too rich to serve often, so I save it for Christmas- as a kind of reward for good behavior all year long!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces each) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the four, salt, pepper and mustard until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese just until melted.
- Stir in beans until coated. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 238 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Swiss Bean Casserole in Country Woman Christmas 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.