- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, optional
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°. Using fingertips, press several dimples into dough. In a small bowl, whisk melted butter, oil, onion, mustard, caraway seeds, Worcestershire sauce and, if desired, sherry until blended; brush over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Cut cooled flatbreads into pieces. Freeze in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, reheat flatbreads on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 425° oven until heated through. Yield: 2 loaves (16 pieces each).
Reviews forSwiss & Caraway Flatbreads
"Oh, my goodness...so good!!! I always make a liverwurst dip during the holidays, and I was unable to find our favorite Rye Triscuits so I decided to try these flatbreads. Thank you Diane Berger! This recipe is definitely a keeper. The flavors went perfectly with the liverwurst. I put the leftovers in the freezer to have with some homemade split pea soup."
"Forgot the stars. I would give it a 12 out of 10!"
"Wonderful flavor! Very easy."