Swirled Potato Bake
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 20-25 minutes or just until tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to place 350°. Place Yukon Gold potatoes in another large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with 3/4 cup milk, half of the cream cheese and 1 tablespoon butter. Add onions, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; mix well. Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Drain sweet potatoes; mash with the thyme and remaining milk, cream cheese, butter and salt. Spread over potato mixture. Cut through layers with a knife to swirl. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 369 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 9, 2010
Years ago a neighbor passed on a recipe, that in some ways, is similiar to this. It's potatoes & carrots cooked in water & a dry onion soup packet. Then they're mashed w/ sour cream & topped with shredded cheddar cheese. It's become a family favorite & none of us are crazy about cooked carrots! I copied this recipe for future use! :)
May 9, 2010
Delicious!! Great to make ahead and serves a lot of people. This recipe is a keeper!