- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- PEANUT BUTTER BATTER:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Stir in water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg and salt until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls over cake batter; cut through batter with a knife to swirl the peanut butter mixture. Sprinkle with pecans and remaining sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews forSwirled Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
"Very moist and rich. Cut into small serving size."
"This cake was delicious! Super moist, the perfect density, and just the right blend of chocolate and peanut butter. I didn't change anything, and didn't run into any problems related to the filling that other reviewers did. I loved that the peanut butter batter was almost cheesecake-like because of the cream cheese and egg in the batter. This cake also freezes very well."
"I recall making this recipe before & the results were great!"
"Very good! This is a super simple and moist cake. I love the fact that you don't have to frost it because peanut butter filling is baked in the cake. The only problem I had was that the peanut butter mixture sort-of slid to the middle of the cake and the edge pieces ended up not having much of the filling. I don't know if this can be prevented, but let me know if anyone has a suggestion to correct this problem. When mixing up the peanut butter filling, I just stirred it all together with a rubber spatula in a bowl, no mixer is needed; just be sure to have your cream cheese pretty soft. Overall, very moist and delicious, quick and easy, I will make again."
"I made this cake and took it to work. It was gone within minutes. It turned out exactly like the picture. We loved it!"