Swirled Herb Bread
The spiral filling in this savory bread makes it an impressive addition to menus. When serving it with spaghetti or lasagna, try sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on top.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, salt and sugar. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; set aside.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread filling over each to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until browned. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 171 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Kari's Homemade Herb Roll Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.