Sweetheart Walnut Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Walnut halves
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Grease two 9-in. heart-shaped pans. Line with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff and glossy. Fold in chopped nuts. Spread evenly over batter, sealing edges to sides of pan. Arrange walnut halves over meringue in one pan.
- Bake at 300° for 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks. Invert so meringue side is up; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix until thickened. Fold in whipped cream. Place plain cake, meringue side up, on serving plate. Spread with half of the filling; top with remaining cake. Frost sides with remaining filling.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 294 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 14, 2011
I too made this when it first appeared in TOH many years ago. It was good but I also thought it would be better with vanilla pudding. I think I will make it again with the vanilla pudding.
Sep 8, 2008
I made this when it first appeared in TOH. It was good and my family enjoyed it but I thought it might be better with vanilla pudding rather than chocolate.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.