Sweetheart Walnut Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Walnut halves
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Grease two 9-in. heart-shaped pans. Line with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, milk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until stiff and glossy. Fold in chopped nuts. Spread evenly over batter, sealing edges to sides of pan. Arrange walnut halves over meringue in one pan.
- Bake at 300° for 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks. Invert so meringue side is up; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix until thickened. Fold in whipped cream. Place plain cake, meringue side up, on serving plate. Spread with half of the filling; top with remaining cake. Frost sides with remaining filling.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 294 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2011
I too made this when it first appeared in TOH many years ago. It was good but I also thought it would be better with vanilla pudding. I think I will make it again with the vanilla pudding.
Sep 8, 2008
I made this when it first appeared in TOH. It was good and my family enjoyed it but I thought it might be better with vanilla pudding rather than chocolate.