Hot-off-the-griddle goodies are always a welcome sight put on the table...morning, noon and night. Instead of serving these palate-pleasing pancakes with ordinary maple syrup, make this extraordinary cherry sauce. You'll be thanked mmm-many times over!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (12 pancakes)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- CHERRY SAUCE:
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream in a can
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs; add milk, oil and lemon juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- For cherry sauce, combine pie filling, extract and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- To serve as shown in the photo, stack pancakes on serving plates and make a heart outline with whipped cream; spoon cherry sauce into heart.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 709 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 664mg sodium, 101g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Sweetheart Pancakes in 1997 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.