Sweetheart Meat Loaf
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into chunks
- 1 small green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup crushed saltines (about 30 crackers)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Additional ketchup
- 1. In a blender or food processor, combine the carrots, celery, green pepper and onion; cover and process until pureed. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, mustard, ketchup, cracker crumbs and vegetable puree. Crumble meat over the mixture and mix well. On a greased broiler pan, pat meat mixture into a heart shape, about 1 in. thick. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; top with additional ketchup. Bake 20 minutes longer or until the meat is no longer pink.
Jan 5, 2013
This was a delicious hit /w my "sweetheart"! I got a smile and a hug before he even tasted it....I modified it a little. I didn't have any ground turkey so I just used ground beef (lean), also I choose to use Panko bread crumbs instead of the saltines. I loved the pureed veggies. Always good to get as many veggies in as possible, also, for those fussy eaters who don't like to eat them, they are totally disguised and no one would ever know except the cook of course. There is this wonderful smell when you are putting together the ingredients, fresh and sweet, really delights your "smeller"! Also the heart loaf itself is not at all heavy but holds together nicely. I used a 9X9 pan, lined with non stick foil, for easy cleanup. I paired it with parmesan crusted potatoes and a tossed salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing. I'll definitely make this again and share it with my daughter who's aspiring to be a better cook. There's an old saying, "the way to a man's heart is thru his stomach"! This would be an awesome dish for an anniversary or Valentine Day dinner.