Sweetheart Jell-O Salad
My cousin served this tasty salad to my family at a memorable Sunday dinner many years ago. I've added this special dish to my menu for Valentine's Day, but I prepare it for other holidays as well. It's so colorful that it adds a festive touch to your table.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Soften gelatin in cold water. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring sugar and pineapple with juice to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add lemon and cherry juices. Cool to lukewarm. Whisk in cream cheese until thoroughly combined. Stir in the cherries and food coloring if desired. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into an oiled 13x9-in. pan or 8-1/2-cup mold; chill until firm. Serve the mold or individual squares on lettuce-lined plates if desired.
Originally published as Sweetheart Salad in Reminisce Extra February 1994
Mar 12, 2011
I made sweet heart salad tonight for the first time in 14 years with my grandmother and it was amazing just as i remember it as a small child! i think im going to make it again next weekend for my friends party!