Sweetheart Fudge Pie
"If your sweetie is a chocolate fan, this pie is a perfect way to declare your devotion - on Valentine's Day or anytime of the year!" confirms field editor Kim Marie Van Rheenen of Mendota, Illinois.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped red maraschino cherries
- Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; set crust aside.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate, coffee and extract. Stir in walnuts and flour. Pour into crust. Bake at 375° for 28-30 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form; fold in cherries. Spread over pie.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 403 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Sweetheart Fudge Pie in Taste of Home February/March 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.