Sweetheart Brownie Sundae
I MAKE this special treat for my family whenever there's a birthday or anniversary. Even without a special occasion, it caps any meal with a festive flair. I especially like to prepare the brownies in a heart shape for Valentine's Day and garnish them with berries. -Dottie Miller, Jonesborough, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth; Cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, beat egg, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour until well blended.
- Line an 8-in. square baking pan with foil; grease the foil. Spread batter evenly into pan (batter will be thin). Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and chill until firm.
- Using a 3-1/2x3-1/2-in. heart pattern or cookie cutter, mark four hearts on surface of brownies; cut with a knife. Spread ice cream on two hearts; top each with a second heart. Wrap in plastic; freeze in a single layer overnight.
- For chocolate sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the water, cocoa and sugar; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted.
- To serve, dust brownie hearts with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with warm chocolate sauce. Store sauce in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 967 calories, 51g fat (29g saturated fat), 227mg cholesterol, 748mg sodium, 127g carbohydrate (97g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Sweetheart Brownie Sundae in Reminisce Extra February 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.