Sweetheart Brownie Sundae
I MAKE this special treat for my family whenever there's a birthday or anniversary. Even without a special occasion, it caps any meal with a festive flair. I especially like to prepare the brownies in a heart shape for Valentine's Day and garnish them with berries. -Dottie Miller, Jonesborough, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth; Cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, beat egg, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until blended. Stir in chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour until well blended.
- Line an 8-in. square baking pan with foil; grease the foil. Spread batter evenly into pan (batter will be thin). Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover; chill until firm.
- Using a 3-1/2x3-1/2-in. heart pattern or cookie cutter, mark 4 hearts on surface of brownies; cut with a knife. Spread ice cream on 2 hearts; top each with a second heart. Wrap and freeze in a single layer overnight.
- For chocolate sauce, in a small saucepan, combine water, cocoa and sugar; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened, for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted.
- To serve, dust brownie hearts with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with warm chocolate sauce. Store sauce in the refrigerator.