Sweetened Ricotta with Berries
Ricotta is a lovely "fast" cheese that can be made from whole milk, skim milk or whey. This creamy dessert is luscious topped with raspberries or strawberries. —Matthew Lawrence La Boucherie, Vashon, Washington
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- HOMEMADE RICOTTA:
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat milk and cream to 180° over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in lemon juice. Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes (milk and whey will separate).
- Line a large strainer with four layers of cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour milk mixture into prepared strainer; strain for 1 hour or until most of the liquid is strained. Discard liquid. Wrap ricotta with edges of cheesecloth. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Squeeze out any liquid; remove cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine berries and sugar; set aside. Place ricotta in a food processor. Add honey and salt; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add cream in a steady stream; process until creamy. Serve with berries.
Nutrition Facts1/3 cup ricotta with 1/4 cup berries : 366 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Sweetened Ricotta with Berries in Country April/May 2010