Sweet & Tart Slaw
For family gatherings and potlucks I am usually expected to bring a salad as they're my specialty. The unusual combination of shredded cabbage, red apples, carrots and celery, make this recipe a conversation starter and crowd-pleaser. —Kathy Rairigh, Milford, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 7 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 medium red apples, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, apples, carrots, cranberries and celery seed.
- Place the vinegar, sugar, onion, salt and mustard in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Drizzle over cabbage mixture and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Toss before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 144 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Sweet Tart Slaw in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.