Sweet-Tart Harvard Beets
These saucy sweet-tart beets with their deep cherry color will have folks talking at your next dinner party! Serve them warm as a side dish or chilled in a salad with cottage cheese. -Nancy Griffin, Simpsonville, South Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) whole beets
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Drain beets, reserving 1-1/2 cups juice. Cut beets into wedges; set juice and beets aside. Place the cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, ketchup and salt. Add spice bag; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved beet juice until smooth. Stir into sugar mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beets and vanilla; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 177 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Harvard Beets in Taste of Home October/November 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.