These saucy sweet-tart beets with their deep cherry color will have folks talking at your next dinner party! Serve them warm as a side dish or chilled in a salad with cottage cheese. -Nancy Griffin, Simpsonville, South Carolina
Recommended: Our Best Beet Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) whole beets
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Drain beets, reserving 1-1/2 cups juice. Cut beets into wedges; set juice and beets aside. Place the cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, ketchup and salt. Add spice bag; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Discard spice bag.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved beet juice until smooth. Stir into sugar mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beets and vanilla; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Harvard Beets in Taste of Home October/November 2003, p41
Reviews forSweet-Tart Harvard Beets
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2017
"We love these beets as they are. I wouldn't change a thing!!"
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2014
"Love, love, love these beets. This recipe converted me into a beet lover!"