Sweet-Tart Freezer Coleslaw
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and salt; let stand for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Add the carrot, green pepper and vinegar mixture to the cabbage mixture; stir to combine. Transfer to large freezer bags; seal and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 185 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 2, 2013
This slaw was really good before I put it into the freezer... I just didn't like what the freezer did to the cabbage. I would make it again but wouldn't try freezing it again.
Sep 9, 2011
Why so much sugar?
Sep 5, 2010
I love this. I have made it for years.
May 18, 2010
This slaw had a very frozen taste to it. Definitely not comparable to fresh. I was hoping for the convenience of having it right at hand during the summer months but will go back to making it fresh.
Aug 9, 2008
The Very Best!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.