Sweet-Tart Freezer Coleslaw
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and salt; let stand for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Add the carrot, green pepper and vinegar mixture to the cabbage mixture; stir to combine. Transfer to large freezer bags; seal and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 185 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 2, 2013
This slaw was really good before I put it into the freezer... I just didn't like what the freezer did to the cabbage. I would make it again but wouldn't try freezing it again.
Sep 9, 2011
Why so much sugar?
Sep 5, 2010
I love this. I have made it for years.
May 18, 2010
This slaw had a very frozen taste to it. Definitely not comparable to fresh. I was hoping for the convenience of having it right at hand during the summer months but will go back to making it fresh.
Aug 9, 2008
The Very Best!