A dear friend showed me how to use up cucumbers in a tangy salad. The longer it chills, the deeper the flavor. Look for lemon or pickling cucumbers. —Dian Jorgensen, Santa Rosa, California
Featured In: Vintage Recipes From the '50s Worth Trying Today
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 10 pickling cucumbers or 3 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Place cucumbers in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, celery seed, pepper and remaining salt until blended. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and onions. Pour dressing over cucumber mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Tart Cucumber Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2016, p14
Reviews forSweet-Tart Cucumber Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 13, 2017
"This recipe is a little to vinegary for my families taste. I added extra sugar and for us it tasted much better."