Sweet & Tangy Beef Roast
While cleaning out the fridge I found barbecue sauce, red pepper jelly and hoisin sauce – the perfect trio for creating this this slightly tangy and sweet, utterly delicious roast. —Rachel Van Orden, Annville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 7 hours + standing
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 pounds)
- 2 medium onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup red pepper jelly
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; add onions and 1 cup water.
- In a small bowl, mix barbecue sauce, jelly and hoisin sauce; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Stir into pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast and onions.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup sauce and 1/4 cup onion: 516 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Sweet and Tangy Beef Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2015