Sweet Succotash Chili
This recipe deliciously combines two of my family's favorite dishes—succotash and chili. I often make it on a weekend for meals throughout the week.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 2 hours
Makes12-16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound dried lima beans
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups frozen corn
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1-4 hours.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. In a 6-qt. Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onions are tender; drain. Add the beans, paprika, cumin, garlic and salt. Stir in broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add corn; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
Editor's Note: For added flavor, use hot Hungarian paprika or add 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 289 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 607mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Succotash Chili in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook