Sweet-Spicy Asian Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce or 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, egg, garlic and pepper flakes. Add sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper, ginger and garam masala; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, coconut milk and chili sauces; bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth; stir into sauce mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in meatballs, pineapple and soy sauce; heat through. Serve with rice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 24, 2018
This turned out amazing. It was too spicy for my mother, who hesitates using black pepper. The photo does not represent the dish. There is a delicious brown sauce that is not shown, it would probably be hard to get a pinnable picture as served. I had 12 meatballs that taste like sweet Italian sausage; The majority of flavor comes from the sauce.
Jan 18, 2018
Family agree, they want their Italian or Swedish meatballs next time. Sorry, this one did not make the cut. The taste was just not satisfying enough to try again.
Jan 18, 2018
Gapaneses typo not to be a jerk but needed to point it out. Japanese