Sweet Spiced Tea
Welcome guests in from the cold at Christmas with this honey-laden hot tea from our Test Kitchen. If you don't have orange-flavored tea, regular tea can be used with equally good results.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 2 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- 12 whole cloves
- 12 whole allspice
- 3 quarts water
- 12 bags orange-flavored black tea
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Orange slices, optional
- Place the cinnamon sticks, orange peel, cloves and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Bring up corners of cloth; tie with string to form a bag. Place water and spice bag in a large kettle or Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Add tea bags; cover and steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags.
- Add honey and lemon juice to tea; bring to a boil. Discard spice bag. Serve tea in mugs. Garnish with orange slices if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 61 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Spiced Tea in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.