A tangy warm dressing pulls together all of the delicious elements in this great-tasting spring salad. The bowl looks colorful, thanks to the red onion and sunny hard-cooked eggs in the mixture. -Vikki Rebholz, West Chester, Ohio
Recommended: 45 Superfoods for Your Brain
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 18 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 red onion slices, separated into rings
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, mustard and salt. Gradually stir in water and vinegar until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir a small amount of hot dressing into beaten egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Place spinach in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with warm dressing; toss to coat. Top with the hard-boiled eggs, bacon and onion. Serve immediately. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Sour Spinach Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2003, p33
Reviews forSweet-Sour Spinach Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 14, 2009
"Everyone loved the dressing on this salad. Asked for recipe. Will definately make again."