Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken
Bamboo shoots, sweet red pepper and sugar snap peas give this weeknight wonder a lovely look and pleasant crunch. —Lorraine Caland, Thunder Bay, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoots
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 7-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Hot cooked rice noodles
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil; drain. Add broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, peas, red pepper, bamboo shoots and onions. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 180° and vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, reserved juice, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Pour into the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in pineapple; heat through. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 348 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Sweet & Sour Chicken in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011
Mar 3, 2015
Excellent flavor and very easy to make! Enjoyed by my entire family!
Mar 9, 2011
I highly recommend this recipe! It was very fast to prepare, VERY flavorful! (I made it with rice though, didn't want to wait for noodles to soak in water)