Sweet-Sour Beans and Carrots
I love German food, so I tried out the recipe for this on my family and they really like it. I like to serve this side dish with German noodles and pork cutlets or a roast.—Sherry DeHaann, Hays, Kansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups frozen cut green beans
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Stir in beans. Return to a boil. Cook mixture 5-6 minutes longer or until the beans and carrots are tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Saute onions in drippings until tender. add the apples, vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well. Cover and cook until apples are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bean mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon.
Originally published as Sweet-Sour Beans and Carrots in Taste of Home February/March 2004
May 14, 2013
Look fwd. to making this soon. Would make half as much since we're empty nesters. Sincerely, K.
Aug 25, 2011
Once we tried this recipe, we've not eaten green beans any other way.