Sweet & Smoky Sausage Pizzas
You'll be surprised at the incredible flavors of this pizza. The wine, thyme and peach preserves elevate this pizza to company-worthy status. —Tammie Haas, Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 pizzas (16 slices each)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 medium tart apple, thinly sliced
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 2 cups shredded smoked mozzarella or Gouda cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon. Discard drippings.
- In same pan, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in preserves, wine, maple syrup and remaining thyme. Bring to a boil; cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in apples; cook 5 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease two 14-in. pizza pans; roll dough to fit pans. Pinch edges to form a rim. Brush dough with remaining oil.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Spread with apple mixture; top with sausage and cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Originally published as Sausage and Peach Preserve Pizza in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.